Ukraine carried out its biggest overnight drone attack on Moscow in more than a year on Sunday, May 17, 2026, killing at least four people and wounding twelve others. The attack targeted areas across the Moscow region and the Belgorod region in southwestern Russia, marking a significant escalation in Ukraine’s long-range strike capabilities more than four years into the war.
Russia’s defense ministry reported that more than 1,000 Ukrainian drones were downed in the past 24 hours, while Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin said 81 drones were destroyed heading for Moscow since midnight. The strike came days after Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy vowed retribution following what he described as Russia’s heaviest drone and missile attack on Kyiv.
Main Developments
The attack resulted in confirmed casualties across multiple regions in Russia. Three people were killed in the Moscow region, while one person died in the Belgorod region. Among the dead was a woman killed when her home was hit in Khimki, located north of Moscow. Two men were killed in the village of Pogorelki in the Mytishchi district.
One Indian worker was killed in the attack, and three other Indian workers were injured. Twelve people were wounded in Moscow, with most injuries occurring near the Moscow oil refinery entrance. Three houses sustained damage in the Moscow area.
Drone debris fell on Sheremetyevo airport territory, though officials said it did not cause any damage. Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin stated that the Moscow oil refinery’s technology was not damaged in the attack.
What We Know So Far
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy confirmed the attack, stating that Ukraine struck targets more than 310 miles from the border. In his statement, Zelenskyy defended the military action.
“Our responses to Russia’s prolongation of the war and its attacks on our cities and communities are entirely justified,” Zelenskyy said. “We are clearly telling the Russians: their state must end its war.”
Moscow regional Governor Andrei Vorobyov reported on the casualties and damage in the Moscow region. The attack follows Ukraine’s recent pattern of long-range drone strikes targeting Russian territory.
Russia’s foreign ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova condemned the attack in a statement. “To the sound of Eurovision songs, the Kyiv regime, financed by the E.U., carried out yet another mass terrorist attack,” Zakharova said.
What Happens Next
Search and rescue operations were ongoing at the time of reporting. Officials continued searching for at least one person in the debris in Khimki. Russian authorities were assessing the full extent of damage across affected areas.
The attack occurred on the same weekend that Zelenskyy had vowed retribution following what Ukraine described as Russia’s heaviest drone and missile attack on Kyiv, which took place on Friday before the Sunday strike.
Important Details
The scale of the attack was significant by multiple measures. Over 1,000 Ukrainian drones were downed across Russia in the 24-hour period leading up to the reports, according to Russia’s defense ministry. Of those, 81 drones were specifically intercepted heading toward Moscow since midnight, according to Mayor Sobyanin.
The confirmed casualties include:
- Three people killed in the Moscow region, including one woman in Khimki and two men in the village of Pogorelki in Mytishchi district
- One person killed in the Belgorod region
- One Indian worker killed and three Indian workers injured
- Twelve people wounded in Moscow, primarily near the Moscow oil refinery entrance
Property damage included three houses in the Moscow area. While drone debris fell on Sheremetyevo airport territory, authorities confirmed no damage occurred at the airport facility.
The strike distance of more than 310 miles from the Ukrainian border demonstrates the range of Ukraine’s drone capabilities in targeting Russian territory.
Official Responses
Both Ukrainian and Russian officials issued statements following the attack. President Zelenskyy framed the strike as a justified response to ongoing Russian attacks on Ukrainian cities and communities. His statement emphasized that Ukraine’s actions were intended to send a clear message that Russia must end its war.
Russian officials characterized the attack as terrorism. Foreign ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova’s statement connected the attack to European support for Ukraine, specifically referencing EU financing of the Ukrainian government.
Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin provided updates on the defensive measures taken, confirming the number of drones intercepted and reporting on casualties and damage within the city and region. Governor Andrei Vorobyov addressed the situation in the broader Moscow region.
Context of Recent Escalation
The drone attack came as direct retaliation for what Ukrainian officials described as Russia’s heaviest drone and missile attack on Kyiv, which occurred on Friday, two days before the Moscow strike. President Zelenskyy had publicly vowed retribution following that attack on the Ukrainian capital.
The conflict between Russia and Ukraine has continued for more than four years. Ukraine has conducted an increasing number of long-range drone attacks targeting Russian infrastructure and territory during this period.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many people were killed in the Ukraine drone attack on Moscow?
At least four people were killed in the attack. Three died in the Moscow region, including a woman in Khimki and two men in the village of Pogorelki. One person was killed in the Belgorod region. One Indian worker was among the dead.
How many drones did Russia intercept during the attack?
Russia’s defense ministry reported that more than 1,000 Ukrainian drones were downed in the past 24 hours. Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin said 81 drones were specifically destroyed heading for Moscow since midnight.
Was the Moscow oil refinery damaged in the drone attack?
According to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin, the Moscow oil refinery’s technology was not damaged in the attack. However, twelve people were wounded near the refinery entrance.
How far from the Ukrainian border were the targets struck?
President Zelenskyy stated that Ukraine struck targets more than 310 miles from the Ukrainian border, demonstrating the long-range capabilities of Ukrainian drone operations.
Why did Ukraine launch this drone attack?
The attack came as retaliation for what Ukrainian officials described as Russia’s heaviest drone and missile attack on Kyiv, which occurred on Friday. President Zelenskyy had vowed retribution following that strike on the Ukrainian capital.
Rescue operations continued in affected areas as officials worked to account for all casualties and assess the full scope of damage from what authorities confirmed was the largest drone attack on Moscow in more than a year.